Search This Blog

18 August 2010

This post was going to be nothing but statues

I spent some time yesterday just wandering around the city taking photos.  I was going to post nothing but statues, but a couple of others may have slipped in.


First up: Wellington, from Princes Street.


Next is Mr Robert Stevenson, civil engineer.

Stevenson's pretty important in Scotland, which is why he's all the way up here:

This sign says a lot about national identity:


I have been surprised to learn what a big deal a flat white is in Scotland.  I told a girl in a Starbucks (I'm so sorry, Blake, I didn't know where else to go!) that I drank flat whites every day at home and she shook her head.  Shook her head! It seems lattes and americanos with milk are the national coffee of choice.

The gentleman resting on a horse is John Hope, fourth Earl of Hopetoun.  John was a politician and a soldier, who saw action in the West Indies and Spain, eventually as Commander in Chief, Ireland.

And this dapper gent is Thomas Chalmers.  Thomas was a mathematician and leader of the Free Church of Scotland.  He is a highly regarded political economist and moral philosopher.

These guys were probably the highlight of the day: Saor Patrol.

Rounding out the statues for the day: Thomas Guthrie, known for his philanthropy and magnificent sideburns.

While walking, I came across a building covered in quotes about Edinburgh from Alexander McCall Smith.  At first I was pretty impressed, but now it feels a bit like showing off.

Finally: buildings and landscapes in this city just break the heart...






After last night's sell-out performance, we're expecting a big night tonight.  I'm going to rest and prepare.  More to come. 

1 comment:

  1. did online research on Saor Patrol are they 'free' or 'craftsmen' by definition?

    ReplyDelete