Search This Blog

16 August 2010

Edinburgh ho.

We have arrived.


Edinburgh during the festival is a madhouse.

We missed our connecting flight from London to Edinburgh.  Not a big deal, we got the next one, and arrived in Old Town this morning, where we were informed we could not check in until 3.  As we had chosen the fancy hostel with en suites, this also meant we couldn't shower.  I am covered in a film of nerd-sweat, I smell like new shirt and old shoes.  I have bought new jeans to replace the ones I discovered (on my way to the airport) were holed at the crotch.  It's been a good couple of days.

It's been totally worth it to reach Edinburgh.  Though my burly frame is a bad fit for Forest Cafe (where I am eating a falafel burger and drinking green tea, to clean out the airplane food), the atmosphere is friendly, as are the volunteer army of hipsters, completely indistinguishable from the clientèle.

The Liar has checked in with the guy running his space for the fringe festival.  He will start performing tomorrow night.  I am going to eat my falafel, drink my tea, and dream of smelling clean again.

3 comments:

  1. The Forest Cafe! How splendid. Also loving the giant stone dog. I wonder what that pooch did to be immortalised in such gigantitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - Greyfriars Bobbie. I might have a little early morning weep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that exact photograph. Had a drink in the pub too, if my memory serves me right. The Fringe is great ... can wander around and just watch the street theatre. Ahhh....

    ReplyDelete