Search This Blog

28 August 2010

A day in Glasgow

Before we headed out I snapped a photo of this handsome guy at the end of Market St.  He's a there to commemorate the members of the Blackwatch.


The Scoundrel and I got the train to Glasgow.  I took a number of photos from the train of the Scottish country side.  Some of them turned out, some did not.




Immediately upon leaving Glasgow Queen St station we were greeted with a square filled to bursting point with statues.  I just gave up, and didn't photograph any of them.  It was such a nice day, and we had so much city to see, it just seemed a waste of time.


We set out West and, taking my mothers advice, stopped to smell the roses.  Or in the Scoundrel's case, check out the local talent.


It was sad we only had one day in Glasgow, because we saw so many things which made us say "gosh, look at that," but didn't have the opportunity to explore it all.


The Kelvin Grove museum was our destination for the afternoon, and as we reached the door the Scoundrel told me they had "better have dinosaurs, or it's not a real museum."  I didn't know, but they did have a statue of a clergyman imitating Conan.


And this small dog.


And some armour.  I took a lot of photos of the armour.


There were dinosaurs, as it turned out, but they didn't get anyone as excited as the armour.


Amazing artifacts filled the cases, like this knight's helm designed in the terrifying image of a demon skull.


Things got a bit silly.



When we left Kelvin Grove, we went in search of some Scotch.  I had a specific mission; to drink a scotch which is older that I am.  The Scoundrel was on the less specific but no less difficult mission to drink some damn fine Scotch.



Glasgow was another beautiful Scottish city, and has continued the nation's straight record for stealing our hearts.

I have a couple of final Edinburgh posts to put up, but we've left Scotland behind now.  I'm writing this from the breakfast table in Berlin.  We were all very sad to leave Scotland, but the next adventure awaits.

1 comment:

  1. You've gotta love the Victorians - they knew how to build a museum that looks like a museum, that acts like a museum, and that feels like a museum.

    ReplyDelete