Search This Blog

15 September 2010

Viewing Wien

The Liar and I used our first day in Wien to do what we do best; wander.  We made our way from the hostel (near Westbahnhof, for those playing at home) up to the museum quarter, where I slowed the pace significantly.  I wanted to take a photo of... well, everything.  Wien is a very pretty city, and it likes showing off for cameras.



I'm completely baffled by the statue we found in the middle of the museums.  While I took notes on the names of all the pedestrian and equestrian dudes around the base, I have no idea who the bird on top is.


She looks a lot like Queen Victoria, or at least to the eyes of an uneducated Australian she looks like Queen Victoria (the Liar agrees), we couldn't work out what the heck Queen Victoria would be doing in Wien.  Maybe they were just way into her.  Please leave your answers in the comments section.


There was also a tiny statue of an elephant.  No, wait, the statue was quite big.  It was a large statue of a tiny elephant.  I think.  It didn't have a name on it, but it was cute as a button.


The back streets of Vienna were gorgeous, filled with strange and exciting stores and people.


Knowing nothing about architecture, I can't give you any details about them, but the buildings really are grand.


Some of the Engrish is also fun.


Just near our hostel was my favourite statue of the trip so far.  These chaps commemorate something that the 49th Infantry did at a black lake I think (my German is very shaky).


That night we rolled down to Mafiosi Pizza, where for 5 euro-squids you can buy a pizza which is bigger than your head.  I ate mine, and finished the Liars, then walked home hating myself.


Back at the hostel the Liar balanced all of his change on end, despite my constant interference.  I promised I would take a photo.


The next day I took 480 photos at the arms and armour museum, and around the town.  I'm going to break that day into a few different posts.

1 comment:

  1. Answers to the quizz:
    Q1: Maria Theresia - sometime mother of Kirsten Dunst, familial of Marky Mark.
    Q2: a rich confection of architecture representing many periods and styles, ranging from elaborate baroque monuments to twentieth century innovations
    Q3: Battle of Stockach (1799) Napoleonic Wars
    Q4: You have gained 4 kilos
    Q5: where did he get money from?
    Q6: Dad is still the 'most photos in a day' winner - you need to better the 620 from the Gallipolli peninsula

    ReplyDelete