Search This Blog

18 August 2012

Pomeranians

I had two nights in Swinoujscie, but not the same pressure for time I'd had in other parts of the trip.

First up; no matter how you think Swinoujscie is pronounced by reading it, it isn't. You're wrong.

WRONG
I didn't spend much of my first day in Swinoujscie in Swinoujscie, I took my time with the train across Wolin, getting a feel for the island (sand, farms, reeds). I asked the hotel staff the enst morning if there was a recommended way to see the town and they produced another handy map and I was on my way.

It took me right past the Monument With An Anchor
They were especially keen that I stop off and see the forts. There are three nearby (one just a short ferry ride away) and I was a bit underwhelmed. They were built in the 19th century by the Austro-Hungarian Empire a long way from the coast. There was no information on them inside or nearby, so I've no idea what they were supposed to defend.

Good view of the gate in the Angel Fort
I figured that by climbing to the top I could at least get a good view over Swinoujscie's many forests, but the forts were not even as tall as the nearby trees. They weren't built on high ground, they didn't look built to last... very odd forts.

Otherwise, Swinoujscie was a nice coastal town to visit. The esplanade was filled to bursting with German tourists and locals out walking their dogs (all one breed).  I got some lunch and spent the afternoon exploring the parks, forests and coast.

Sand. Pines. I've got this.
I had dinner in an Italian restaurant barely large enough for ten guests, the Italian cook and her Polish husband, the most irritable waiter this trip. But you can afford to be irritable when your food is this good. The pasta they made was outstanding, and they had the best Tiramisu I've had in my life.

Just great.
I had an early night, knowing that my next two days would be busy with travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment